At EHRS we strive to support all of our members to the best of our ability and resources. While joining with our members in happy occasions, we also recognise that difficult situations can affect all of us at some time in our lives and we aim to be a first port-of-call if that occurs.
We employ a professional Welfare Practitioner, Val Joseph, who operates a Confidential Helpline with a dedicated telephone number. Anyone can call this number and be assured of strict confidentiality. If Val is not available when you call you can leave her a message and she will get back to you as soon as possible.
Members and their families can call Valabout absolutely anything and can expect an impartial and non-judgemental approach. Just a few examples of enquiries to Val are: divorce & separation, bereavement, illness and disability, children & teenagers, drugs & alcohol, dementia, residential care options, HIV/AIDS, sexuality, employment issues. Val would also love to hear from you if you are a carer, looking after a relative or friend. No problem nor enquiry is too small - everyone is important.
Val is also responsible for volunteer development within the Welfare support sphere and recruits, trains and supports these volunteers in their work. Where appropriate volunteers are police checked. Apart from active recruitment drives for new projects, Val offers members with some spare time available the opportunity to talk to her informally about their volunteering options.
We are also proactive in our support of our members and offer a number of projects that we hope benefit the community:
- The Bereavement Support Group offers trained volunteers to talk to on a one-to-one basis
- 'In Touch' group: volunteers visit members in their own homes, including residential/nursing homes, or in hospital for companionship
- Employment Support volunteers can offer advice on CV writing, job search and on how to market yourself
- Telenet Project - we keep in touch with all members aged 85+ by telephoning them three times a year
- The BabyTalk Information Pack is sent to all parents of new babies (including adoptions) and to grandparents whose children are not EDRS members
- The EHRS Babysitting Register is available on request - we cannot personally recommend anyone on the list and all users are advised to take up references