Mitzvah Day 2010 - Smiles All Round
On November 21st EDRS participated in a national Mitzvah Day. This was our 3rd year of joining in this amazing project where over 18,000 volunteers from a dozen countries spanning four continents came together to do some good for the world around us. Just take a look at www.mitzvahday.org.uk for information on the project as a whole. Here’s a few of the highlights from EDRS's contribution...
- EDRS members collected over 50 bags of donations for Barnado's, Camp Simcha, Norwood, World Jewish Relief and Homeless Action Barnet
- Religion School Year 4 visited Whitchurch Lodge where they sang for and took gifts to the elderly residents
- In partnership with Edgware and Stanmore Rotary Club we planted Crocus bulbs in the garden at EDRS to raise awareness of Polio vaccines
- We helped clear out some of the overgrown Spinney area with the Friends of Canons Park
- Religion School Year 7 visited the Kennedy Leigh Family Centre where they painted a mural and helped out with some cleaning
- Our youngest Religion School classes made a huge mess making chocolate balls and planting bulbs in decorated pots for Norwood
There was loads more going on including at Youth Clubs and in Nagila. I would like to thank Helen Lyons, Marian Cohen and all the adult volunteers that made this day as great as it was. There was a smile on every face which really does show how great it is to give to others. If you'd like to see photos from the day please look under photo albums on www.edrsyc.org.uk.
Mitzvah Day 2011 is on Sunday, 20th November! If you'd like to help co-ordinate it at EDRS please let me know.