Weekly Shabbat Message
In the six weeks leading to Pesach, Reform Judaism is asking all of its 42 Reform communities to take part in the Connecting with Members Telethon. The Telethon is part of Reform Judaism’s Communities that Care Initiative, launched in 2016 to strengthen communities and inspire members.
The Telethon involves community members themselves calling other members of their congregations to wish them Chag Sameach, a happy Passover, ensuring that everyone who wishes has a Seder to go to and listening out for signs of isolation and loneliness.
Woolstone Gallery Art Exhibition
The Current Woolstone Gallery Art Exhibition is showing works from Julia Holt
Julia Holt lives and works in Hertfordshire and completed her Fine Art Degree with First Class Honours at the University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield.
New Reception Office
From Monday 13 February our new reception has been in operation. All visitors, even if you have been a member for many years and know the building and the people very well, should go first to Reception, sign in and advise who you have come to see or be looked after by our experienced staff in the Reception Office. They will attend to payments for membership and events, arranging parking for disabled, booking rooms for meetings and any other queries that you have. It is a more convenient place to wait if the person you have come to see is not quite yet available.
Merger with Hendon Reform Synagogue
At the Special General meeting on 31 October, the membership of EDRS voted overwhelmingly in favour of the merger with Hendon Reform Synagogue to create a new combined community in North West London.
The [EHRS] Steering Committee and focussed working parties of members from the two communities are immediately moving forward on the merger planning and will be looking at all areas of the communities’ operations.
A packed hall discussed many aspects of the traditions and facilities of the two communities and recognised the synergy and similarity that make this an ideal union for the future of the Jewish community in the area. Major emphasis was placed on how we support both the ageing and traditional members as well as the younger progressive families with their children to encourage the commitment to modern Judaism, their families and the wider community. The activities offered by both EDRS and HRS provides for an extensive range of interests and needs. The viability of the merger has already been proven by the existing co-operation in religious education, synagogue services and social activities.
Chairman's Yom Kippur Address
It’s traditional for the Chairman to address the congregation at this time, by looking back over the past year. However I would like to break from that tradition and focus on the future.
Do you know a child aged eight or under?
Families at Edgware and District Reform Synagogue have been receiving free Jewish books every month since PJ Library, the international Jewish family programme, arrived in the UK over a year ago. Marian Cohen, Director of Education at EDRS, helped bring the new books and programmes to the synagogue, after hearing of the impact PJ Library makes on almost half a million Jewish children worldwide.
Visit to Bucharest, Romania May 2016
On Sunday, 8th May 2016, thirty-three of us gathered outside EDRS at 8am to fly to Bucharest, and so our adventure began. After a 3½ hour flight from Heathrow we settled in to the Europa Royale, our very comfortable and centrally located hotel. By early evening we divided into small groups (no one was left on their own) and ate at one of the very numerous restaurants on our doorstep. Just about everyone spoke English and the meals were good and inexpensive.
Lord Finkelstein evening at EDRS
An EDRS audience of 110 people enjoyed listening last Wednesday evening to Lord Daniel Finkelstein's entertaining and delightful experiences as a journalist and politician. Lord Finkelstein enthralled us with his views on how events had steered his fascinating career as well as his views on politics in Britain. Susan Steinberg clearly enjoyed interviewing Lord Finkelstein.
Perry Newton takes up position as Community Director
It was probably nearly thirty years ago, that I was sitting on the bimah with my children and Rabbi Larry Tabick playing his guitar.
CYRIL MITCHELL WAX
BORN LONDON, OCTOBER 7, 1930
DIED EDGWARE, MARCH 13, 2016
Mitch was known to many, many people in a variety of guises, as a teacher, a master craftsman, a showman and songwriter, an artist, a long-standing leader in one of the largest synagogues in Europe, and above all, a lifelong volunteer. How could just one person fill all those roles and more ?
- Chess trophy comes home
- Spirits Soared High at EDRS
- Secret listener’s project
- EDRS Cleans, Collects and Connects on Mitzvah Day 2015
- Chairman's address on Yom Kippur
- Boris, bagels and borscht at EDRS
- The JC Mensch of the Year Award 2015
- EDRS WELCOMES CANONS HIGH SCHOOL FOR HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL DAY
- Krakow - Place of hope for Jewish Renewal
- EDRS Memorial Garden nearly finished
- British Ambassador to Israel joins EDRS for Shabbat
- EDRS VISIT TO RIGA – MAY 2014
- His Excellency Matthew Gould, the British Ambassador to Israel, to visit EDRS
- Our New President - Keith Price
- Memorial Garden Update
- Mitzvah Day
- Mitzvah Day
- NEWCASTLE ‘COMMUNITY WEEKEND AWAY’
- Help EDRS an "easy" way..
- Successful Winter Fair
- Mitzvah Day - 18 Nov 2012
- The HappyDay
- EDRS celebrates achievements of 30-strong group graduating from youth leadership course
- Reform Movement News - our very own newspaper
- Friends of Youth Centre Quiz Supper
- Israel - A Positive View
- The "Big Vision" Breakfast.
- JUDAISM AND DEMOCRACY
- Eva Schloss at the EDRS Yom Hashoah Service
- Under 8s Purim Party
- Israeli Dance Festival
- Is It OK to Be Jewish And Criticise Israel?
- On March 7 2011, EDRS Gives Birth
- Rich choice for Reform Judaism
- CUBS - A snowy weekend at camp
- Rabbi Doctor Tony Bayfield CBE
- EDRS Race Night Raises £1,000!!!
- Mitch Wax in the Woolstone Gallery
- CUBS Win Gold at Swimming Gala
- Mitzvah Day 2010 - Smiles All Round
- Rabbi Lionel Blue's Book Launch